Importance of Citations
Title: Importance of Citations
Author: Kalyn Cody
Subject: Other
Grade Level(s): 5
Duration: 1 day
Author: Kalyn Cody
Subject: Other
Grade Level(s): 5
Duration: 1 day
How We Express
Ourselves--Exhibition of Research
During this unit,
students will work in groups to research an issue in our community. They will
then work out an action plan to help deal with this issue. After research
and the action has occurred, the groups will share their work with the class
and later with the community and their families at an open house. The
duration of this unit is 4 weeks, plus 1 week of preparation two months
beforehand.
This lesson takes place
on day 1 of research. It is meant to begin a conversation about the
importance of citing information, opinions, graphics, and images.
Students will not only
discuss the reasons for citing, but will also begin to form citations in their
notes.
From Iowa Core Literacy
Standards:
Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in
order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably. (RI.5.9)
With some guidance and support from adults, use technology,
including the Internet, to produce and publish writing as well as to interact
and collaborate with others; demonstrate sufficient command of keyboarding
skills to type a minimum of two pages in a single sitting.(W.5.6.)
(plus a boat-load
more, but these seemed most relevant)
Goals
Unit Goals:
1. Thorough
research into a real-world issue
2. Compile information into a usable presentation
3. Become able to
answer questions on the repercussions of this issue
4. Become more aware of
the interconnectedness of our community
Lesson Goals:
1. Become more
aware of the necessity of crediting original work
2. Explore the
feelings someone might experience when their work is "stolen"
3. Learn how to
give credit to a variety of materials
Methods
Anticipatory Set:
Begin by sharing
"my" new short story with the class. This short story will have
already been written on a previous day by one of the students (hopefully, this
story has already been shared with the class). I will read it, feign
great pride in the work, and ask the class for feedback. I will prompt
obliquely until the class realizes that I didn't write the story, but instead
"stole" it from Student X.
This will prompt a
discussion on why I can't pass off work as my own when I clearly did not
complete it and also how I could go about rectifying the situation. We
will also talk about how simply reading the story to the class is bad, but it
could be worse if I chose to publish the work online.
Introduce and Model New
Knowledge:
I will then ask the
students to come up with a way to give Student X credit for the short story
while still posting it to my blog. Students will be allowed to make a graphic organizer of
necessary information, write it out, or type it into a word processor.
We will then talk about
my "summer vacation." I will then use a projector connected to
my computer to show my vacation photos of MLK's "I Have a Dream"
speech, Mohammed Ali's knockout of Sonny Liston, and other pictures I could not
possible have been present for in summer 2012. I will pretend that I took
these pictures and own the rights, leading to another discussion of why we need
to cite images. I will also include a picture that is obviously fake
(i.e. me on the moon). The
students will then either write, type, or make a graphic of how to give credit
to these pictures.
Provide Guided Practice:
Students will be given a
graphic organizer that contains a template for citing websites, interviews, and
books/articles. This template will be a simplified version of MLA-style
citations. I will then project a website on the wall and we will pick a
quote that we would like to "use" in our research. Then we will
track down the information needed to cite this page. We will continue in
this manner to cite a book and call in a neighboring teacher for a short
interview.
Provide Independent
Practice:
Students will then be
assigned to work in pairs to find and cite 3 webpages, 3 books, and 3
interviews. The students will be able to use the graphic organizer
provided, use a site such as easybib.com to cite the resources, or come up with
their own graphic organizer that shows the necessary information.
The class will have a
brief conversation about the importance of citations and the implications of
not citing someone else's work in our research projects.
Assessment
Formative/Ongoing
Assessment:
Students will turn in
their end of lesson citations to be scored by the teacher for accuracy and
completeness. Lesson will be retaught in small groups if necessary.
Summative/End Of Lesson
Assessment:
Students will show proficiency
in this skill by including proper citations (at a 5th grade level) in their
exhibition of research projects.
Kalyn, you did a very nice job explaining your lesson. The lesson plan seems very detailed and covers an important topic. It happens too often when students go to the internet and get pictures or facts without proper citation. It isn't really taught in any specific class at my school, but is an extremely important concept. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteWell, you definitely hit the engagement aspect! I love how you would capture the kids' attention and draw them into the need for citation. This is a great lesson, and one I would use with my kiddos. Nicely done! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a very solid lesson, and the UDL implementation would work very well also. I found the idea of reading a student's story aloud to the class and passing it off as your own quite fabulous for getting their attention and stressing the importance of citing sources. Do you think you'll try and revamp other lesson plans after this exercise? I definitely think I will rethink and tweak many more of my own.
ReplyDelete